Saturday, February 26, 2011

An Idea What to Do with Shells or Stones You've Collected....

As a teenager, I collected cowry shells along the beautiful beaches of Trincomalee, Sri Lanka.  I must've collected over 50 of them - and carried them safely with me.  I never knew what to DO with them when one night I had a dream.....how pretty they would look assembled in the frame of a mirror.

Firstly, I had to find an old mirror with a wide frame (and I hoped for a bamboo-like frame and found one!) - paid all of $7. for the mirror.  THEN - it became a FAMILY project - my husband has a good eye for placement and details, and our daughter thought if we added a sprinkle of "glitter" to the putty, it would resemble beach sand.

This project took about 2 weeks from beginning to end (we had to be positively sure the putty was dry before hanging the mirror).  Now it hangs over our daughter's dresser and I've used EVERY shell I collected at Trincomalee.  Just a thought, but you might also do the same with shells from your area, or shards of pottery, or pieces of clay or pieces of coloured glass.  That is what I am most thankful for that as a youth I didn't HAVE any material things and had to use my imagination for everything.


We ALL collect "things" - this and that - so here's an idea to display these things.    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment