Friday, February 25, 2011

WHO is your favourite "Outsourced" character and WHY??

We LOVE "Outsouced" maybe because of a background in the sub-continent.....have spoken to many who love it too.  We were a little upset that NBC moved it from 9:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. - that makes a BIG difference to working people like ourselves.  I remember one night my hubby and I went to sleep at 8:30 p.m. promising to wake one another up for "Outsourced" at 10:30 p.m. - and next thing we knew it was 5:30 a.m. and the alarm had sounded.

We love Maduri, but our absolute favourite is GUPTA because every family (White, African-American, Indian, Native-American, Chinese, Jewish, whatever) HAS a "Gupta" in the family....it's the relative we all wish we didn't have (but do).  It's the relative who just doesn't "get it" (doesn't have a clue what reality is).  It's the one we all wish we could hide in the closet when others stop by....and yet we LOVE him because of how he is.

We don't like the Australian character - she is way too loose (as is Todd) morally and doesn't set a good example to anyone, especially to our Hindu values as a family.  Rajiv is also hard to like (who can like someone always ready to take over, kick one out and become Manager?).  Manmeet is cool.  Of course, they're just characters in a show, in real life Rajiv may be the virtuous one; they're just actors and we need to keep that in mind.

Either one likes the show or hates it (doesn't seem to be any "middle ground") - we love it!  BUT since NBC put it on so late at night, most times we can't stay awake to watch it, thus we have to go to http://www.nbc.com/outsourced/   then go to WATCH OUTSOURCED ONLINE.

There were many Americans who saw it as an insult to all the unemployed Americans.  We didn't quite see it that way.  I don't think admitting many jobs went to India will automatically give Americans employment.  One has to look at the overall picture.  WHY were jobs outsourced?  (probably pay/ health ins.) - and if you want to blame someone for that - start at home with the local governments who allow companies to "outsource". 

I'm going to say something that will make me very, very unpopular, but I recently tried to fix an Internet problem with Verizon and spoke to a computer-illiterate employee in New York City (I'll call her Natasha) who could not fix my problem and wanted to try to SELL me a new modem (not only did I not need one - it would not have fixed the problem).  Luckily, I held my ground and said "Look, Natasha, I'm not accepting what you are saying.  I want to speak to your supervisor".   Within seconds, I was transferred to a supervisor in Delhi, India.  Within 15 minutes he immediately knew what the problem was (definitely not a new modem) and fixed it and I was really happy.  There are TWO sides to Outsourced - yes, the wages are less, etc. but the technology in India is SUPERB!!!  You put an "IT" person named Natasha from New York City (maybe originally from Ukrainia?) and an "IT" person named "Ganesh" (I made that name up) from Delhi in a room and I guarantee the smarter of the two will be Ganesh.  So NUMBER ONE - if we want to compete in this modern world, we'd best be skilled as much as Ganesh or we will be left behind.  Simple as that! 

Initially, some Indian-Americans felt "insulted" by the show, but hope they've come around.  After all, how many shows are there out there where Indian-Asians can have a job acting?        

No comments:

Post a Comment