Saturday, June 18, 2011

Help! I've become a "lapa"

Limpet ("Lapa" in Portuguese)

Two weeks ago, I had to look up the Portuguese word "lapa" - never heard of it!!  It means "limpet" in English, and I'd never heard of that either.  As we were planning ahead to an Azores trip for 2012, I kept reading about "rice with limpets".  I had to look it up.  It is, well better than explain, let me point you to the definition:
http://www.mesa.edu.au/friends/seashores/limpets.html

NOW - I feel some very, very strange attraction that the Azores must've been my homeland in another lifetime.  Suddenly, I feel close to things like "lapas" and "polvo" and Azorean words.  I do not know if a PLACE can consume a person, but I do feel totally consumed by the Azores, although I've never been there.  I look at scenes and instead of just appreciating them, I "remember" them.  I do not know why a Portuguese-speaking chain of 9 islands in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean calls out so much to me.  It haunts me day and night.  When I dream now, I have vivid, colourful dreams of different places in the Azores.  In a short span of time I have become familiar with all 9 islands: Corvo (the smallest), Flores, Faial, Sao Jorge, Graciosa, Sao Miguel, Terceira, Santa Maria and Pico.

Help!!!  I've turned into an Azorean "limpet" (lapa) and am not complaining in the least!!

No comments:

Post a Comment