Monday, September 26, 2011

Spoons Made From Cornstarch....

Was watching a French chef on PBS who is very concerned about the environment.  He spoke of a "plastic-like" spoon made from cornstarch, which is 100% biodegradable.  In his very busy restaurant in New York City his sous-chefs needed to taste the sauces all day long, and for hygiene reasons they needed to use a utensil they could throw away.  I'd never heard of such a thing, so I looked it up.

Yes, it's true.  Here is one company (there are hundreds - just put "spoon from cornstarch" in a Google search and they'll all pop up):
http://biodegradablestore.com/plantware_high-heat_utensils-spoon-case.html?category_id=65

I really like this idea.  Some friends of ours were visiting relatives in another state and they were appalled that they do not recycle ANYTHING.....and all those plastic forks, spoons, knives (much to the horror of our friends) were just thrown in the garbage....where they will never decompose.  Plastic doesn't biodegrade.

We also have some very stubborn friends who believe that "climate change" is all a hoax thought up by the government!!  Ay!Ay!Ay!.....we have polar bears dying off in the Arctic because the ice is no longer capable of supporting them.  We have the President of the Maldive Islands pleading with United Nations to help come up with a solution before his entire nation is swallowed up by the ocean.  Yet, it's a "hoax"?  I don't think so.

I remember taking a bus in Mexico from one city to another - it was about a 5 hour trip.  The buses in Mexico all have movies, but it was one I'd seen many times before, so I began looking out the window.  What I saw disgusted me......I don't think there was even a 50 meter space in that entire trip where there WEREN'T plastic bottles (from water, soda, etc.).  I asked a relative why they don't recycle the plastic and he said it was too expensive and no-one had the revenue to start up such a recycling plant. 

This is IT, guys!!  As far as I know - this is the only planet I know of that can support human life.  If we "break it".....we can't "fix it".

I wrote once about the "banana plant rule" - there is another item - the coconut.  It can provide water; it can provide protein eaten raw, it can be used to make "milk" used in curries and many dishes.  It provides copra.  The coir husks can be used as mattress material....and the shell can be polished (or even not polished) and used as a bowl to hold food.

We must come up with more ideas for going green. 

No comments:

Post a Comment