Saturday, August 27, 2011

How did my husband come to America???

This is a long, long story, so I suggest you pull up a chair, have a cup of tea or coffee as you read it.

My husband, who was born in a "hut" in Mexico - with earthen floor, no electricity, no plumbing......dreamed of what it might be like to live in America ("el Norte" as it is often referred to in Mexico and other places).

I'm not quite sure of which year Jimmy Carter was President of USA, but during his Presidency, he opened up an "amnesty" for agricultural workers.....one that would last until 1990, I believe (then it closed).  It wasn't a "blanket amnesty" - one had to prove that one had worked at least 6 months in agricultural work, had no criminal history and then could apply for "amnesty".

Sometime in 1988 - my husband would come to America.....by going UNDER a 16-wheeler truck and holding on for dear life.  He didn't pay a "coyote" (people paid to smuggle one across the border between Mexico and USA).  It was a long, long arduous journey "holding on" - and had he let go at any time, he certainly would have been killed.

SOMEHOW - he landed in Dallas, Texas and that was a miracle in itself.  He found a job picking "okra" ("ladies fingers" is how we referred to them in Asia).  That was an agricultural job, thus he would eventually qualify for Amnesty.

He is a clean person without any criminal history - however, when he was processing his paperwork (by that time we were married) Immigration gave him such a hard, hard time.  They charged him $1,000. for having crossed the border "illegally" even though Amnesty was in effect!

Gosh, how I remember those days and nights.  If he had an 8:00 a.m. appointment with Immigration - we camped out from 3:00 a.m. onwards because if one was not in the first 50 in line (appointment or not) - one would be sent away by a security guard.   I also can remember a time when FINALLY my husband could apply for the much-valued Green card.  We had gone to 6 different photographers, knowing that Immigration could be "picky" on the photos.  We had about 36 photos taken in all.  When he went to Immigration in Orlando with his photos (all 36 of them!) he encountered a true WITCH (and I prefer this word  to any  that begins with the letter "B").......she had a stamp that read "rejected" and she promptly stamped EACH and EVERY photo my husband turned in....can you believe this???  It's true.  She then told him he needed to make another appointment with Immigration (which was almost like making an appointment to see the President!).  My husband broke down and cried after that horrible incident.  I told him "we'll face this battle together - not to worry!!"   Can you believe that 5 months later (oh yes, we had to camp out for our given appointment) he came in with copies of the SAME photographs the Witch had denied, and the Officer looked at the first two and said "Accepted to next step!"

People sometimes think that he had it easy being married to a U.S. citizen - no way!!!   He had to study day and night with the Citizenship Booklet.  I went with him to the examination - 2 (one from Russia, another from Ukraine) came out CRYING that day.....it was "touch and go" although I knew my husband had studied really, really hard for this test.  Can you believe, he came out with a SAD face (hoping to kid me!) and said  "I didn't pass" - then he clicked his heels and said "JUST KIDDING!!!" and he was then awarded U.S. Citizenship!!!

His Citizenship ceremony was really moving and a lot of our friends attended.  When one thinks of HOW it all started - clinging on the bottom of a 16-wheel truck.....it is truly amazing. 

If you ASK me about the "Dream Act" (whereby children brought to USA illegally can qualify to become citizens if they serve in Military or attend College/University) - YES, I do believe in that!!!!  America eats apples, grapes, tomatoes, etc.....it's about time they realized WHERE their food was actually coming from.  TOO often - people who normally care about Human Rights in America focus only on those whe are legally documented (i.e., African-Americans, Puerto Ricans) - they don't really want to cross that "line" into Immigration territory...in spite of the fact that almost every fruit or vegetable on their table came from being picked by someone (documented or indocumented) from Mexico.  

A very good film to watch is "A Day Without a Mexican" - it depicts how helpless USA would be if we deported all Mexicans.

Anyway - and I know this will make a lot of wives jealous - my Mexican husband is the BEST husband and father (to our daughter) one would EVER, EVER ask for - he appreciates my work.  He sees when I am tired and puts a cassock for my feet to rest upon.  I have "dry feet" and he gives me what he calls "bodyshop" which means thorough rasping of feet followed by cream treatment.  He is my knight in shining armour and I thank God for him every day of my life. 

When we do go out to eat (at restaurants) - we notice that we are the only PAIR actually TALKING to one another.....so many other couples eat and sit in total silence.

He is my strength and rock - and God, I love this man who married me with ALL my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment