Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Keeping Things in Perspective.....

Once, long ago, I came across a poem that was written (and I can't remember its author/authress) but it stuck with me a lifetime.  You see, as we grow and age, we go through 3 distinct phases.  In our first phase we are very self-conscious and worry what others may think about us, what image we project to them, what they might say or think about us.  During the second phase....we've lived a lot more and in that phase we grow bolder and don't particularly care what others "think" about us.....we have made our peace with family and God.  In our third phase of living, we gain tremendous insight and we realize that all the fears, frets, worries we'd ever had were in vain because "they" were never worried about us....they were worried about themselves.  It goes something like this:

When I was 20, I worried what everyone thought about me.
When I was 40, I didn't care what anyone thought about me.
When I was 60, I realized "they'd" never been thinking or worrying about ME at all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment