Monday, April 4, 2011

Always Back up My Favourites....

Wow!  What an ordeal trying to watch the World Cup Cricket Match (India vs. Sri Lanka) on Saturday!  My NEW "mantra" is "I will not try to watch World Cup Cricket AGAIN!  I will not try to watch World Cup Cricket Again!!"   - why??  because it was VERY evident that I went to a website (to watch cricket) that had a HORRIBLE trojan virus.  I could not believe my EYES - as I was watching, my WHOLE hard drive was MELTING AWAY!!!  2/3 of my programmes and icons were GONE!!!  Vanished

I called my IYOGI team but it was really a bad, bad day to call.  Normally I get right thru, but this was almost a national holiday, so I was on hold an abnormal amount of time.  I could just envision the scenario in India - "Let's draw straws for who has to answer a call during the cricket match!  The one who chooses the shortest straw loses and has to answer the phone!"  Just kidding, have a sense of humour!

ANYWAY - to make a long story even longer......I eventually got a techie to restore my computer to a date I had installed an external hard drive, but that was a mistake on MY part - I should have told him the day AFTER because we had not installed the hard drive until evening.  My system was restored - but ALL my photos, ALL my music (that I had paid for) was GONE.   Made yet another call to IYOGI (by then the match was over and all were answering phones) to change the point of restore.....DID get my Photos back, DID get my Music and all my Documents back......but LOST my favourites.

So, besides backing up My Photos, My Music, My Documents......I would also like to recommend that you back up "My Favourites" - here is a really simple explanation of HOW TO DO IT (wish I had before!!!)
  http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-backup-your-internet-explorer-favorites.html

I also recommend installing an external hard-drive - they've come down in price - the one I bought (on sale) was less than $69. and has so much SPACE I could literally back-up my computer and all my neighbours on the street!!

No comments:

Post a Comment