Sunday, April 24, 2011

HOPE this works - a homemade dog urine repellent....

All my life, I wanted a Bokhara carpet - they are the finest of the finest.  I put aside equivalent of $10 a month from the time I was 7 years old.  SOMEDAY I would buy a "Bokhara" carpet.

FINALLY - fast forward to the year 2009 and I was able to order a "Bokhara" carpet for the dining room.  At the time we had TWO dogs (we now have only one).  Because I was at work when the "pee happened" I never knew which of the two dogs made the accident.  Sadly, in 2010, we had to euthanize the older dog...NOT because he was incontinent (we tolerated that for years) but because he would not eat, was skin and bones and cried most of the time (he was almost 17 yrs. of age and lived a long, good life as an epileplic dog no-one else wanted).

Needless to say - I had to roll up the "Bokhara" and put it in the basement because it was constantly being urinated upon.  My husband felt it was the older dog who was responsible - but I'm not so sure.  SO.....today I took a big chance and put the "Bokhara" back on the floor, but not without reading up on "homemade dog urine repellents" just in case it was Billy actually doing the bad deed.

Found a recipe that seemed easy to follow - 2 teaspoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons vinegar, fill with cool tap water, stir and put into a spray bottle.  SPRAY carpet with same.  So, that is what we did tonight and I will let you all know how it worked out.

Wish us luck!!  

2 comments:

  1. It DOES indeed work, but don't ever try on white or cream-coloured carpet or it will stain it red. Luckily, our carpet happens to be red! Found out it also discourages stink bugs on plants outdoors!

    ReplyDelete