Thursday, April 28, 2011

The "White" Curry....

In Sri Lanka they had something called the "white" curry for people who were not born in Sri Lanka....it was very much toned down and mild.

I remember going to a government Rest House at Ratnapura for lunch with my parents.  As my Dad definitely did not look Sri Lankan, when he ordered "prawn curry" they brought a "white curry".  My Dad was FURIOUS!  "Do you have any idea how many years I've lived in this country?  Do you think I don't know a WHITE curry when I taste one?  I want a REAL prawn curry - the hotter the better!"  The waiter said "Oh sir, truly, I do not want the cook to harm you - this is a fine curry and a hotter one might make you ill, sir."  My Dad said "I WANT a HOT curry - like the one YOU would eat!"  "No, sir, really, it will do you harm!"  "Do I have to go talk to the cook?"  "No, sir, I will tell him to add a little more spice".

The second version was hot but my Dad's ego had already been bruised, so he called the waiter and once again said "This is a WHITE curry!!!  You tell that cook to make the most FIERY curry he has ever made in his lifetime, is that clear??"  "But, sir!  Really, you don't want...."  My Dad interrupted "Don't tell me what I want or don't want!!  HOT, HOTTER, HOTTEST - is that clear???"

After some 30 minutes the waiter returned with new prawn curries for all of us.....the poor waiter's hands were shaking as he presented it "Sir, I hope this won't harm you!".  My Dad took one bite of the curry and we could CLEARLY see it was possibly the hottest curry on earth.  My Dad's face became red and we almost saw smoke coming out from his ears.  The concerned waiter said "Sir, is it alright?"  My stubborn Dad replied (as he cleared his throat and avoided coughing) "It's fine". 

Now then - my poor Mum and I had to EAT that curry as well, and to save face for my Dad - we could not show our feelings - I felt I was CHOKING on chilies, but we ATE it.....no choice!

There were so many things about my Dad I never understood and so many things he never would tell me about his painful past, but I loved him and admired him a lot.       

No comments:

Post a Comment