Sunday, May 1, 2011

I need your help.......

About 40 years ago I bought this oil painting in the YMCA second-hand thrift shop in Colombo, Sri Lanka - this is not the original frame (the frame was more 1960's look).  It is signed "Mackey".  I have not been very successful at finding the painter - too many artists with same name and I've written to many of them without a single response.

BECAUSE I bought the painting in Sri Lanka, I always assumed it had been painted in Sri Lanka, but I believe I was wrong.  The ONLY town in Sri Lanka with such narrow alleyways and tiled rooves is Galle.  So I asked all the old-timers if they ever remembered a street like this in Galle or ANYWHERE in Sri Lanka.  Everyone just said no.

So then I began to Google "bridge between houses" in Images, but the only old-looking place (every other photo was modern buildings and modern bridges) that even slightly resembled the painting were photos of an island called Lamu (off Kenya....I believe it used to be called Zanzibar), and "old town" in Mombasa, Kenya.  I found this website with many paintings (in fact, they are quite lovely!) of similar looking places in Mombasa or Lamu, but none had the bridge between the two houses.   
http://www.insideafricanart.com/artists%20main%20pages/Al_Amir_Hussein.htm

So I'm asking all my blog readers to please tell me if they know where my painting locale is.  There is a possibility it WAS Mombasa (although I don't know how it ended up at the YMCA in Colombo, Sri Lanka!) but that it was painted at a time when the bridge between houses WAS there and maybe, over time the bridge either fell down or was taken down (my imagination is going wild, thinking of a mean mother-in-law karate chopping the bridge down with her bare hands!).

So - would greatly appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Chandani

 

No comments:

Post a Comment